Posted: 3:41 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014
In his ‘Letter from the Editor” column in March’s issue, editor-in-chief Graydon Carter is finally addressing the story…and it turns out, there really is no story.
Last spring Carter mused about doing a piece on why Paltrow is such a polarizing “love her or hate her” figure during one of their editorial meetings. And the story assignment grew off of that.
“It was just what had been assigned — a reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love-fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow. I thought it perfectly explained the whole phenomenon. But it was such a far cry from the almost mythical story that people were by now expecting — the “epic takedown,” filled with “bombshell” revelations — that it was bound to be a disappointment. What to do? I decided to sit on it for a time” Carter explains to readers.
“In October, Gwyneth called me. We talked for about 20 minutes about the story and her reaction, or over-reaction, to it. At one point, she asked my advice as to what to do to get the “haters” on her side. I suggested putting on 15 pounds.”
“The fact is the Gwyneth Paltrow story, the one we ordered up, as delightfully written as it was, is not the one the anti-Gwynethites expect. That it has generated more mail and attention than many of the biggest stories we’ve ever published only makes the situation more complicated.”
We here at RumorFix told you back in November that this was the case. At that time when rumors were swirling about this story – including claims that she was asking her A-list friends to boycott the Vanity Fair post-Oscar party – her rep told us “this supposed feud is blown complete out of proportion. The VF story that they wrote and may or may not run is not a takedown at all. Gwyneth did not participate because we were not promoting anything for the month they wanted to run the story which was October. She never asked anyone to boycott the party, she just asked her friends not to give quotes about her. ”